- Drius Industrial implementation of a biodegradable and compostable flat micro-irrigation system for agricultural application Term November 1st, 2013 – October 31st, 2015 Project DRIUS is the continuation of a previous project called HYDRUS (FP7/2007-2013-Grant Agreement 231975), where new biodegradable micro-irrigation pipes were developed and satisfactorily manufactured in industrial extrusion lines. The main focus of the present […]
- Industrial Compostability After many years of development and intensive discussions in normalization committees, requirements for industrial compostability have become well established and have been firmly fixed in several norms. In all of the above norms, the same 4 essential requirements are specified: Biodegradation shows quantitatively the inherent characteristic of the material to be consumed by microorganisms and […]
- Home Compostability While the first norms on industrial compostability were already published at the turn of the century, it took 10 more years to create a norm on home compostability. Based on AS 4736, the Australian norm on industrial compostability, Australian Standards published in 2010 world’s first norm on home compostability: AS 5810. Nevertheless, several other certification […]
- Degradation in other environments In case the product’s intended disposal route does not include industrial or home composting, other conditions need to be selected, representative for the environment in which the product will need to degrade after being disposed of. In this context, different environments can be selected, including soil, fresh water, marine water, anaerobic digestion or landfill. OWS […]
- (A)biotic degradation of oxo-degradable plastics Oxo-degradable plastics are based on conventional plastics, like polyethylene (PE), polypropylene (PP), polystyrene (PS) and polyethylene terephthalate (PET), to which additives have been added aiming at (bio)degrading the plastic by a process initiated by oxygen and accelerated by light and/or heat. For many years, ASTM D 6954 was the only guide available for testing oxo-degradable […]
- About OWS OWS is a world leading company in the construction and operation of anaerobic digestion plants, in the biodegradability and compostability testing of products and materials, and in waste management consultancy.
- Transbio BioTRANSformation of by-products from fruit and vegetable processing industry into valuable BIOproducts Date December 1st, 2011 – November 30th, 2015 Project TRANSBIO will target and realize different biotechnological approaches for transforming by-products from fruit and vegetable processing industry into value-added bioproducts. The project aims to reduce production costs for biopolymer PHB, bio-based succinic acid and […]
- Synpol Biopolymers from Syngas Fermentation Date October 1st, 2012 – September 30th, 2016 Project SYNPOL aims to propel the sustainable production of new biopolymers from feedstock. SYNPOL will thereto establish a platform that integrates biopolymer production through modern processing technologies, with bacterial fermentation of syngas, and the pyrolysis of highly complex biowaste (e.g., municipal, commercial, sludge, […]
- Oli-PHA Functional Sustainable Packaging Term June 1st, 2012 – May 31st, 2015 Project The use of more sustainable materials in packaging is a key demand from the consumers while also a need for the producer in order to comply with waste reduction legislations. However, various factors generally limit the uptake of biopolymers such as processing difficulties, […]
- KBBPPS Knowledge Based Bio-based Products’ Pre-Standardization Term August 1st, 2012 – July 31st, 2015 Project The application of standards and certification systems in the European bio-based product industry has positive long-term effects on the overall development of bio-based product markets. Trade barriers are reduced and the development of a pan-European market for bio-based products is promoted. […]
OWS is a world leading company in the construction and operation of anaerobic digestion plants, in the biodegradability and compostability testing of products and materials, and in waste management consultancy.